Re: [OM] IMGs: Restored 1974 Peugeot AO8 Road Bike - Gitane?

Subject: Re: [OM] IMGs: Restored 1974 Peugeot AO8 Road Bike - Gitane?
From: DZDub <jdubikins@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 2 Nov 2013 14:48:41 -0500
On Sat, Nov 2, 2013 at 11:10 AM, philippe.amard <philippe.amard@xxxxxx>wrote:

> I still have one such bike at the far end of my cellar at Metz
>
> Here it is, unused for so many years ...
>

> http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Phileica/Playground/Cycles+Gitanes-4168.jpg.html
>
> Was that one considered any good back then over there?

I believe so.  Not quite in the same camp as Peugeot.  But I defer to Chris
on these matters.  At that time, I had a Schwinn one-speed, which was
excellent for running directly into curbs and other obstructions.  The only
thing I ever broke on my Schwinns was a set of handlebars (from pulling up
to jump up the curbs and pushing down when going off them).  I had some
doubts as to whether that bike was actually built in Chicago.  In short, I
had no particular knowledge or taste of the finer things among bicycles.

You might check the derailleurs and other components on your Gitane.  After
a while I think the European companies began to use Japanese components to
try to stave off the inevitable.

Joel W.