Re: [OM] Redneck

Subject: Re: [OM] Redneck
From: DZDub <jdubikins@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 2 Nov 2013 10:40:16 -0500
On Fri, Nov 1, 2013 at 12:24 PM, Charles Geilfuss <
charles.geilfuss@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>   Well as a son of the South and the great, great, grandson of a
> Confederate veteran, I have a great interest in the history (both revised
> and unrevised) of the Civil War, but I have no desire to fly/display/or
> otherwise promote the Stars & Bars nor to own any slaves. And neither did
> my G,G, Grandfather for that matter. I would love to be able to ask him why
> he went off without hesitation when the call went out. May have had
> something to do with that long line of hot-headed Prussians he came from.
> When the trumpet blew he just couldn't resist the urge to seek fame on the
> battle field. He was lucky he came back in one piece and live to the ripe
> old age of 70.

I like the "malice toward none, charity toward all" theme of this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/99378213@N00/5769180356/

When I see Stars & Bars somewhere in Iowa, a meth lab cannot be far away.
But as it is in this photo, I revere it, and I'm glad that we are
ultimately a country that can contain great differences as well as we do.

Joel W.