Re: [OM] Redneck

Subject: Re: [OM] Redneck
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2013 11:48:25 -0600
CG wrote:
> When the trumpet blew he just couldn't resist the urge to seek fame on the
> battle field. He was lucky he came back in one piece and live to the ripe
> old age of 70.

Good point. A lot of very reasonable people signed up, fought and
died. As is so often the case, what the politicians say and what the
populace believe are two different things. What was written in the
confederate constitution may not have really been applicable to what
the population thought. I don't think it's proper to spit on their
graves. An army does what it is told to do--even a volunteer one.

It's also important to remember that we live in an "enlightened" time.
But 100 years from now, what seems normal and acceptable to us today
will be viewed quite differently.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx