Re: [OM] Redneck

Subject: Re: [OM] Redneck
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2013 11:05:18 -0600
> I shake my head every  time I see someone with a big Confederate flag
> displayed somewhere.  If I remember my history classes correctly, the Civil
> War has been over for some years.  But, by gosh, there are still those who
> are waiting for the South to rise again and separate from the rest of the
> USA....  I've also come across a few who still think slavery is a good idea.

Personally, I would have no problem granting Indiana the right to cede
from the union. I'm sure there are a couple of list members who might
feel the need to move as a result, but, hey, you guys probably vote
Democrat and secretely are Chicago Bears fans instead of the
abominable Colts. As a born and bred Michigander, I wouldn't miss
Indiana all that much. The best way to get to Florida was through
Ohio, anyway. I-80 is already a tollroad so it's just a matter of
showing passports at the pay booth.

The revisionists have changed the discussion to an issue of states'
rights. While I don't disagree with that stance from a constitutional
perspective, I see that as a red herring as it was VERY clear that it
was about slavery. These days, I believe that the majority of the
individuals who dream of the south rising again, do so from the
states' rights issue and not slavery or racism. So, I'll grant them
somewhat of a pass. But what grates me is that they use the historic
symbols of hatred. Note that I said "majority", which means more than
50% Unknown how much more, but at least 50%. The rest can line the
head portion of their robes with plastic grocery sacks.

The fact is, that we're probably better off eliminating states all together.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx