Re: [OM] (OM) Comedy of errors.

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) Comedy of errors.
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2013 09:04:04 -0400
While you certainly did have a few focus problems your principal problem
was slow shutter speeds.  While the E-510 does have IS some of your
shutter speeds, in combination with 100 and 200mm full-frame equivalent
focal lengths, put that IS to a very tough test.  And even if the IS
could keep up it does nothing to stop subject motion which is the main
problem.

Even if you had brought an autofocus lens and had perfect focus on the
subject you would likely still have been disappointed in some of these
images due to insufficient depth of field.  For example, the really
tough case of violinist Cathy Irons (whose distance you estimated at
2.3-3 meters) you guessed was shot at 50mm and f/5.6.  Using a CoC
suitable for a large print from a 4/3 camera the DoF is only about 20cm
on either side of the point of focus.  Even using a relaxed CoC suitable
for a small print the DoF is still only about 35-40cm on either side of
the point of focus.  In other words, even with perfect focus and a
relaxed CoC criterion the DoF would be unlikely to have covered the
depth of the subject from her hand in the foreground to the tip of the
violin in the background.  At such a short distance and short telephoto
focal length I think f/11 would have been required for a good shot.

The solution is smaller apertures for better focus and higher ISO for
faster shutter speeds and reduced motion blur.  Easy to say if your
camera does very high ISO with little noise.  The E-3 with its better
viewfinder and one stop higher ISO might have been the better choice here.

Chuck Norcutt