Re: [OM] 10000 hours

Subject: Re: [OM] 10000 hours
From: Mike Lazzari <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2013 12:02:34 -0700
> Guilds started this game hundreds of years ago.
>
> Also, I would assert that it does not, at least in the present, prevent many
> people practicing many trades, from masonry
> to medicine, who are less than minimally competent.
Large corporations aren't representative. They're more like the
government bureaucracy than most small businesses.

I would argue that the trend toward union bashing coupled with zero
competence required for a license allows many unscrupulous and
unqualified people to hang their shingle. Any apprenticeship program is
probably the best thing we have now even with the warts.

Myself as an example: I pay a few dollars a year for a contractor's
license and a few dollars more for a $4000 bond! That's it!  If I spill
my coffee at break it will cost more than $4000. L&I does require $2M in
insurance and testing for some trades like myself, electricians,
plumbers etc. but even then the loopholes are huge. e.g. one licensed
electrician at a typical small "Mom & Pop" outfit who may or may not be
on-site.

Bring back the Guilds! Mike