Re: [OM] Risotto/paella/food

Subject: Re: [OM] Risotto/paella/food
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2013 01:19:14 +1300
I wrote ;
> I should try making a Paella. As far as I  know I have never ever seen one
> or seen one on a menu - not that that counts for much as I almost never go
> out to dine.
>
> Risotto - I cook it regularly as a tasty alternative source of carbs. A
> local company makes it in pre-prepared form (dry) and sells it in
> meal-sized portions (cardboard packets). Suits me, since I do most of the
> cooking in this household ... :-(
>
> Fifteen minutes in the microwave, and it's done !!
>
> Might not suit purists though.

Well, I DID say it might not suit purists !!

Thanks, Ralf, for the recipe, which I have translated and saved. And I did
understand what
you were getting at Nathan,

However.   By the time I get to stand in front of the stove my blood sugar is
running very low
( hence the obligatory glass of wine at that time of day, which keeps me in a
reasonable
frame of mind), and my objective then is to get on the table a tasty nutritious
well-cooked
meal inside 25 minutes.

My once-apon-a time Dutch brother-in-law would sometimes spend upwards of 4
hours
preparing a special dish. With all respect, I did not think the result
justified the length of time.

The packet risotto available here does taste nice - it is made from a mixture
of rice and some
wheat-based granules that look like rice. One teaspoon of vegetable oil in a
casserole dish,
650 ml water + package of preserved herbs, capsicum etc that come with the
grain, and 15
minutes microwave at full power with no lid on and it is done.

I often make a chicken or pork stir-fry which includes vegetables, as an
accompaniment. My
own invention, somewhat copied from what I have eaten in Asian restaurants.
Without the
sweet/sour sauce. Usually the only extra flavour I add is low-salt soy sauce +
Lea & Perrins
Worcestershire sauce.

Alternatively, oven-grilled crumb-coated fish.

OM content. Yes,  I did take some photos, mainly of flowers, today. Including
with Piers'
Zuiko 135 macro. Not satisfied with them so will try again tomorrow ( actually,
since this is
now after midnight, later today!! )   It's about time my postings had OM
content.

Brian Swale.