Re: [OM] Keeping Your Laptop Plugged in All the Time Will Kill Its Batte

Subject: Re: [OM] Keeping Your Laptop Plugged in All the Time Will Kill Its Battery Faster
From: "tOM Trottier" <tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 03 Oct 2013 16:35:04 -0400
2013 Oct 03 - Thu at 10:52      re:Re: [OM] Keeping Your Laptop Plugge …
Chuck Norcutt <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote …

>As John O'Regan notes, it's possible that the off-mains usage time
>of my battery is now down to 2 hours rather than 6.  I don't know
>since I rarely use it off the mains but wouldn't be surprised.  What
>I am surprised at is that it's still working at all after more than
>6 years of "abuse".  None of my camera lithium-ion batteries have
>lasted that long except the Energizer Canon BP-511 clone that's
>still running after 7 years.  The original Canon BP-511 for the 5D
>came close but died at 6 years... perhaps from more frequent usage.

But did you keep the camera battery continuously in the charger?

Laptop batteries suffer from always being "topped up" when they are in desktop
use,
while one usually removes other batteries from the charger.

Laptop batteries also suffer from the laptop heat while the laptop is in use.

tOM

-- Absum! -- Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.

                   tOM Trottier +1 613 860-6633
tOM@xxxxxxxxxxxxx       Skype:Abacurial
46D Chesterton Dr, Ottawa, ON K2E 5S9, Canada
http://Information.Architecture.Abacurial.com
        P Est-ce c'est necessaire d'imprimer ce courriel ?
              Do you really need to print this email?
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Any use of this message, in any
          manner whatsoever, will increase the amount of
    disorder in the universe. Although no liability is implied
      herein, the consumer is warned that this process will
        ultimately lead to the heat death of the universe.