Re: [OM] Windows File Association

Subject: Re: [OM] Windows File Association
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2013 03:53:38 +1200
Tina wrote:
> PESO:
>
> A problem has cropped up that is driving me crazy and I can't find a
> solution.  All of a sudden, for no reason, my Windows 7 machine has
> stopped associating photo files - dngs, tifs, jpegs, etc - with Photoshop
> and is trying to link them to a Windows program like Explorer or Photo
> Viewer.
>
> When you right click on the file and get "Open With.."  Photoshop is not a
> choice.  It will not allow me to choose Photoshop or anything else except
> about 8 different Windows programs.
>
> The problem that is driving me crazy is when I import or move any dng
> files, Windows tries to open the file with a program that will not open
> it.
>
>  I don't want to open the file, I just want to move it or import it, but
>  Windows stops everything while it tries to
> open the file with the wrong program.
>
> I've found a few instances with the same problem on the internet but they
> are several years old and when I try to use the same work-arounds that
> solved their problem, it doesn't work.
>
> I haven't been able to get any work done, including the LUG challenge on
> Hands, and it's driving me crazy.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Windows 7, Photoshop CC, LR 5
>
> TIA
>
> TIna

I have much the same problem with an otherwise OK video player called 'VLC
Media
Player.  (Windows XP)

Some videos are better played with windows' own Windows Media Player, but since
the
installation of VLC, it seems utterly impossible to associate ANY media with
WMP, through
the file association process.

The only work-around I found that works for me is to have a short-cut icon for
WMP on my
desktop, and when I want to use it on a particular program, I start WMP, then
find that
program using Windows Explorer ( the singularly most useful Win program I
have), and
drag the file to Windows Media Player..

Which leads logically to the next suggestion I have to offer.

What image program did you install immediately prior to this problem turning
up, and does
the problem go away if you un-install that program?

Good luck. I'll be watching the responses to this with close attention.

Brian Swale