[OM] Another battery data point for the E-M5

Subject: [OM] Another battery data point for the E-M5
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2013 16:41:53 -0400
I shot my grandson's soccer game today which proved to be taxing on the
E-M5's battery.  Taxing on the battery since (although I was using the
viewfinder only) the camera was powered on about 95% of the time that
the game was active.  The camera started with a freshly charged Progo
battery
<http://www.amazon.com/Progo-Battery-Charger-Olympus-1600mAh/dp/B00AWVG0J2/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1379794876&sr=8-5&keywords=progo+olympus+battery>

and ran continuously for about 1 hour before I changed it for a fresh
one.  It had started flashing a low battery warning about 5 minutes
before I changed it.  I have no idea how much charge was actually left.

I had only taken 29 exposures but the EVF had been running almost
continuously and the autofocus in the m.Zuiko 14-150 was probably being
exercised about every 5 seconds.  I have AF removed from the shutter
button so I was refocusing frequently as the action moved around the
field.  Trying to shoot action was difficult since I use the Fn2 button
for focus.  Since it's right next to the shutter button you need to use
the same finger for both.  The 5D allows using the thumb for focus and
the index finger for the shutter.  In retrospect the sky was very
overcast and the lighting very even.  I should have put the AF back on
the shutter button and used manual exposure control or even auto since
it was unlikely to change much at all.

Moral of the story: I think the OEM battery would have lasted longer but
not by very much.  If you plan on shooting a lot of sports or other fast
action get the battery grip.  That may give you 2 hours or more of
fairly continuous shooting.  The number of shots is probably almost
irrelevant.  It's running the display and AF motors that eats the battery.

Chuck Norcutt