Re: [OM] One more time - E-M5 batteries

Subject: Re: [OM] One more time - E-M5 batteries
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2013 20:52:57 -0700
On 9/15/2013 8:24 PM, Paul Braun wrote:
> I'm so confused - have we, as a group, decided that the only safe way is
> to pay the Olympus tax and buy genuine BLN-1's?

I don't know about the group. My sense is that you are the one who has come
across as most concerned in posts, leaving
aside Chuck's generic warnings.

I use one Progo, which charges with the Oly charger and is claimed to report
its state of charge correctly on the camera
icon. I don't know, 'cause I don't pay attention until it starts flashing.

I also use two Wasabi's, which come with and require a separate charger. I used
to think this was a disadvantage, but
not any more. Traveling in our little RV, I want to charge both batteries used
in a full day of shooting. With the one
charger, I have to do that serially, which means remembering in the middle of
the night to switch batteries. With two
chargers, they charge at the same time. Go to bed, wake up to charged batteries.

If absolute # of shots per charge is most important, go Oly. If cost is
paramount, go third party. Guess/remembering
from when I paid attention, the third party batteries are good for 65-70% of an
Oly, no matter what their mAh capacity.

I've speculated this is because they don't, including the Progo, really
identify themselves and communicate entirely
properly to the camera. Lacking trusted capacity data from the battery, the
camera has to go on voltage alone in
deciding when to stop using a battery.

Capacity is a non-issue for me. A full day of shooting is going to require two
batteries, and as yet, never three. I
always carry three, so when the light starts flashing, I just change batteries.
It matters not just how many shots I've
taken. They're little and light in a pocket.

I don't think I used the Oly battery at all on our last big trip, always
holding it in reserve.

Four Charge Moose