Re: [OM] Speaking of lenses [was Speaking of sharpness ... ]

Subject: Re: [OM] Speaking of lenses [was Speaking of sharpness ... ]
From: DZDub <jdubikins@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2013 16:38:40 -0500
On Sun, Sep 15, 2013 at 2:40 PM, Moose, taking questions for Chuck, replied:

> On 9/15/2013 8:49 AM, DZDub wrote:
> > ... Chuck, A 60mm DZ is the equivalent of a 120/2.8 in film terms. That
> would have been considered very generous in
> > working distance back in the day, almost as good as the legendary
> 135/4.5 with a great deal more speed and brightness.
>
> Well, not really; that's one thing that doesn't scale that way. It's still
> a 60 mm lens, whatever image size it covers,
> and the respective subject and object distances for a given magnification
> remain the same.

Hey, who's talking to you, mister?

Seriously, thanks for the explanation.  I figured there was something I
wasn't getting.  I nodded off in the lecture on how things are and aren't
equivalent to film with the smaller sensor size.

Now I wonder if you will tell me if Chuck is actually looking for a really
good close-focusing long zoom (since he seems to like your former favorite,
the 14-150).  That's what I would have guessed.  Until I got a DZ macro, I
tended to use the DZ 50-200 for close focusing if I wanted or needed the
working distance.  The bokeh is sometimes OK, but not always predictable.

I was surprised at how close the DZ 18-180 is able to focus.  I think I
recall that you got some very close -focused shots with the 14-150.  Am I
remembering correctly?

Joel (not always completely inattentive) W.