Re: [OM] DZ 18-180 heading back to KEH

Subject: Re: [OM] DZ 18-180 heading back to KEH
From: DZDub <jdubikins@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2013 09:25:40 -0500
On Tue, Sep 3, 2013 at 12:41 AM, Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Oops, for technical reasons, I had to replace the image. New link. <
> http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=8076>
>
> Corrected Moose
>
> My inspiration to try the 18-180 was directly inspired by what I was
hearing about the 14-150, in addition to which I like the 18-180 range
better because I am a bit more of a telephoto guy and if I had to carry two
lenses, it would have been nice to add the DZ 11-22 for the wide stuff.

I thought the images were OK for web stuff, and maybe I was expecting too
much, but after Mike L's description of his experience, I looked more
carefully at the pixel level.  When a lens is close but not quite there, it
makes me just crazy.  I start to evaluate everything, including my eyes and
brains.  I discover that I take plenty of crappy photos even with very good
lenses, I try to rush test photos at low ISOs when the wind is blowing.  I
discover the expanses of my capacity to be an idiot.  My confidence craters.

I learn a lot too.  I discovered that it is difficult to do a good lens
test at high ISOs.  Noise introduces complications and dealing with noise
introduces compromises that influence your opinions when you are trying to
evaluate a lens (speaking for myself, of course -- YMMV).  Also, I've
decided that if I have enough speed to control subject movement, even by a
whisper, I will take IS over high ISO any day.

Joel W.