Re: [OM] DZ 18-180 heading back to KEH

Subject: Re: [OM] DZ 18-180 heading back to KEH
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 02 Sep 2013 22:33:47 -0700
On 9/2/2013 4:33 PM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> DPReview makes mild complaints about the edge resolution, distortion and
> chroma of my m.Zuiko 14-150 at the short and long ends of the range.
> <http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/olympus_m_14-150_4-5p6_o20>
> Could be those evils are there but I haven't noticed anything that would
> cause me to discard it.  I haven't actually tested it against anything
> else but I really do like that lens and since I don't notice any badness
> I'm not very inclined to try hard to find some.  :-)

It's easy to fall into the idea that the M.Z lenses are just remounted or
slightly changed versions of the DZ lenses.

Not True. Once they realized how slow to focus existing designs were, they
redesigned each one extensively, to make the
focusing element/group as small and light as possible. This and a different
type of motor allow fast, silent focus. They
call them MSC (Movie and Still Compatible)

In the process, they've used some later lens tech. I've cobbled together from a
few sources a direct comparison of the
18-180 Joel is talking about and our 14-150s.
<http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=8073>

Each has 15 elements, four of those in the 18-180 are 'special' glass, two ED
and two aspheric. Seven elements in the
14-150 are special, five of more complex/advanced types.

The results show up in the much better MTFs.

I agree with you; it's quite a fine lens.

Cobbler Moose