Re: [OM] IMG: Christmas Market

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Christmas Market
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2013 08:58:26 -0600
> And I'm convinced that a lot of these new "syndromes" are totally fabricated
> to sell more new
> drugs.

Restless Leg Syndrome?

I suppose what kinda bugs me a bit is that I suffer from migraines.
Fortunately the severe ones only happen 2-3 times a year. Those are
the kind that drive a person to commit suicide except the noise from
the gun would hurt too much. (I'm not kidding). Otherwise, they tend
to be relatively manageable. Relatively manageable means that I'm not
feeling the need to puke my socks up unless I took too many pain
relievers. Had them since birth. Technically, I could apply for and be
granted disability because of them. All said and done, I average a
week a month with some form of headache. Except for an average of one
sick day a year, I work right through them.

So, here are all these advertisements for various migraine reliefs. I
have friends who have tried them. But what has always stopped me from
going that route is the side-effects of the medication. It's a case
where the cure is worse than the problem itself. Yet, the drug
manufacturers are unrelenting in their persistence. I've noticed where
the tactics change. They'll advertise the drug from one perspective
(pain management), and then they will change it to another
(lifestyle). Then they totally guilt-trip you (your family suffers
when you suffer).

I learned that I have at least two distinctly different types of
migraines from different causes. Unfortunately, I can't tell which is
which until after I've taken my combination of things. If what I took
doesn't work, I've got to wait at least four hours to try the other,
lest I puke everything up. It's a 50/50 proposition.

Fortunately, there is some new research coming out on migraines (cause
and cure) that are NOT chemical based. I hope to see it before I'm an
old geezer. It would be neat to be able to address it with a
well-placed ice-cube or hot-pack or something like that.

In the meantime, I try to ignore those commercials and keep in mind
that these chemical solutions are more likely to kill me than help me.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx