Re: [OM] Some random shots from the files

Subject: Re: [OM] Some random shots from the files
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2013 00:02:07 -0700
On 8/22/2013 7:17 PM, Ken Norton wrote:
> Warning to Moose and anybody else who suffers from hyper-sensitivity
> to heavy-handed processing.

I'm a bit mysterified that I might have such a rep. I hope it's only with you
when you feel my chain hasn't been pulled
enough recently. :-)

My objections are to sloppy processing, heavy and incompetent hands at work. I
was just viewing the entries in an art
composition. There were the usual suspects of years past, a shot of surf with
no sharp plane of focus at all, but not
artfully soft, and such like. then there's this very slightly surreal image
that's not my cuppa, but could be good.
Except every dark-bright edge has a hard, white line along it, at odds with
both what the subject looked like and the
rest of the overall effect.

One still life of dead/dying flowers took a brave shot at getting an overall
softness, like LF Pictorialism. Didn't
quite work, but a brave effort. I wish I could figure out how to do it, myself.

> Have Holga-Effect, Will Travel.
>
> Crossing Contrails:

I like it. Just took some similar-ish tele shots of cloud detail around a
couple of sunsets. I would, of course, have
knocked down the noise quite a bit before embarking on the processes that
emphasize it. But it looks like your kind of
grain, film-like.

> Iowa Road with Farm Truck:

Perfect.

> A nice crop of Wind Turbines ready for harvest (H):

I like this, probably for some of the wrong reasons. The processing has made it
look like a really nice model of wind
turbines, with the grass looking a little fake, like better quality could have
been used. The nicely centered subject it
a bit too pat for me, but adds to the model quality.

> Another nice crop of Wind Turbines ready for harvest (V):

Eh. Vertical crop of the last one would work better for me. I think I
understand what you were going for, but the cut of
wing tip and wing cutting through the third one don't work for me.

> Proverbs 21:9 House:

Great capture! The effect mostly works for me. A longer, gentler gradient,
starting further in, from in to out of focus
might be nicer, more like a 'real' cheap lens. The central area of sharp (ish)
on a Holga lens is smaller.

> Several More.
>
> Empty Pool (OM-4T with Ektar 100):

Nice. This is over processed?

> Flag (OM-4T with Ektar 100):

Not my cuppa, but perfectly executed.

> Bug Out (Panasonic DMC-L1 with 50/1.4 and extension):

What with all the macro lenses I have, I don't believe I've ever used the
50/1.4 with extension. Not unexpectedly, it
did well. And you've found a subject/background relationship where it has great
bokeh! :-)

> On "Bug Out", if you click on the full-size version you'll see that
> the eyes aliased on the sensor.

Didn't bug me at all.

Bug Eyed Moose