Re: [OM] OM-D E-M1

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-D E-M1
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2013 08:52:33 -0600
> If it was a right-eyed shooter there might be no problem.  In any case
> I'd be happy to exchange the silly over-sized screen for a smaller one
> and a bit more real estate for larger and/or more dedicated controls.

You bring up a good point. The early DSLRs had pretty good control
layouts because the screens were so much smaller. As much as I like
these huge new displays, there is a major conflict as the
manufacturers are shrinking the bodies and expanding the screens.
There's no place to hold the cameras!

Many models of cameras have the screens which can flip around and
close up face in on the back of the camera. I understand the concept,
but I don't think anybody has adequately implemented it yet because in
order to do so, you have to still provide enough information and
guarantees to proper operation without the monitor. I may keep the
monitor off almost all the time, but once in a while I need to chimp a
shot or make an adjustment that forces me to menu dive. That requires
the flipping out of the screen just to chimp that one shot or make
that one adjustment. Not good.

I believe we might have finally reached our Waterloo in this regard,
though. Everybody wants a 10 inch display, but wants the camera to fit
in a pocket. Obviously, this isn't going to happen. But what is
happening is being able to a "proper size" screen on the camera and
then wirelessly connect to a second device, like a cell-phone or iPad.
I REALLY like doing my studio chimps on the iPad instead of the
camera.

I love how history continues to repeat itself. the '70s and '80s were
all about big clunky SLRs. Hobbiests bought them by the shipload. Then
the '90s were all about compact cameras that did everything but wash
the dishes. The '00s brought is back to big clunky DSLRs, but the '10s
are all about compact cameras again. Meanwhile, off to the side, Leica
continues to churn out the '50s regardless of the rest of the
industry.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx