Re: [OM] Panasonic with in-body stabilisation

Subject: Re: [OM] Panasonic with in-body stabilisation
From: DZDub <jdubikins@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2013 12:59:22 -0500
On Sun, Aug 11, 2013 at 4:45 AM, Frank Wijsmuller <wijsmuller@xxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> I thought about waiting for NEX FF mirrorless too, as an alternative to
> buying the 6D, but decided against it:
>
> - it will be over $1000 more expensive then a 6D, maybe more, and will take
> 1-2 years to fall to more reasonable prices (and expect FF to fall too)
> - some years before a decent native lens selection will be available (even
> if you buy it for legacy glass, you'll want some)
> - I expect some limitations in adapting MF glass, due to the narrow fit of
> a FF sensor in the NEX mount
> - I foresee some commercial limitations in adapting MF glass, since it is a
> Sony ;-)
>
> So I bought a 6D, and when the FF mirrorless market will be more mature in
> say 3 years, I'll look into it for a successor.
>
> It won't happen, but I'd like a MFT mount FF sensor Oly (or Sony, or
> whoever), to mount all except NEX/Fuji lenses, and for MFT/FT have a multi
> ratio (including vertical with a button push) benefit. Oly making a 5 axis
> IBIS with APS sensor could be a start...
>
> Best with your decisions, Frank

I like your thinking, Frank.  My only fear is that having a 6D (or even a
5DmkII) would push me a little bit towards the "need" to use more native
EOS glass.  Do you feel the "need"?  The 5D really functions almost like an
OM back to me -- in part because the LCD "experence" is so primitive.  It
is just good enough to give me assurance that I will probably have what I
envisioned from looking through the viewfinder.  Any more goodies than that
seem like they would go unused by me.  Occasionally I wish that I had live
view, but I don't use LV very much with the E bodies out of doors because
the LCD is almost always unusable for that.  Fortunately, my vision is
pretty good and the current crop of OM-to-EOS adapters tend to give me the
confirmation I need.

I think that my main dissatisfaction is that exposure adjustments are not
quite linear -- in other words, 1/250 at f4 may not produce -- almost
certainly won't -- the same histogram as 1/30 at F11.  The images certainly
look rather different in playback, and I don't think it is a quirk of the
LCD.  The differences are "fixed" (by me) in raw development, and they are
not usually the "worst" elements that I end up fixing in raw development.
Still, one would like to think that one could, if necessary, get an
acceptable jpg from his camera in any common situation, and I don't think
that is something I would ever claim for the 5D used as an OM back.  But I
simply don't shoot that way with the camera, so it doesn't matter much to
me.

I had hoped and even predicted that the OM-D would be FF when the first
provocative bits of information started coming out.  Clearly, that was
wish-fulfillment, and they knew what they were doing.  Will they finally
get around to FF?  It will probably only interest me if it can take the
E-system glass and serve as an OM back.  That's a pretty tall order which
I've already got covered in other ways that I am satisfied with for now.
 And if Oly doesn't get there first, one almost wonders if it matters for
them as a company.  As Ken likes to point out, they take the world by storm
with features that the other guys simply adapt to maintain or extend their
market share, and Olympus simply seems destined to remain mainly a P&S
camera maker.

Joel W.