Re: [OM] My first attempt at HDR

Subject: Re: [OM] My first attempt at HDR
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2013 12:47:25 -0600
> In short you get a Google based map centered on your location and a
> table with phase of the moon, sunrise/set, moonrise/set and four lines
> drawn over the map indicating the directions of sun/moon/rise/set from
> you location.

You can also use it in figuring out the elevation angle too. So, if
there is an object at height that you want calculate the intersection,
you can do that too.

> Your task is to figure out the date using TPE when the sun sets directly
> over US 30 at your location.  The interface is a bit unusual but you'll
> eventually figure it out.

Yes, eventually. It's not the easiest program to use, but it is
effective. You can also game it to determine the reversal of position.
When it was written, it was photographer-centric. I'm more
object-centric and I'm trying to get the sun/moon, object and
photographer all aligned. He modified the program to make it easier to
do just that.

It is very accurate and does take into account a few little unusual
attributes of global positioning which most of the other programs
don't. My longest plot which I've successfully managed to utilize is
around 12 miles from my subject, and I was within 20 feet of where the
lines said I should be. I would have gotten it closer, but the aerial
photograph wasn't straight on and I had to guess where exactly it was.
I plotted the exact same thing with other programs and are not quite
as accurate.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx