Re: [OM] Satan's Worst Nightmare

Subject: Re: [OM] Satan's Worst Nightmare
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2013 09:55:47 -0600
> I respect people like that because the USA has become such a nation of
> blind conformists who are not merely ignorant of anything their masters
> don't want them to think about, they're damed proud of it. Its 10 times
> worse in a place like Indiana.

I don't think that is anything unique to the USA. In fact, if
anything, the USA is less "conforming" than nearly all cultures out
there. Australia, being a pretty big exception. But blind conformity
is expected in most parts of the world. One difference, though, is
that in the USA, you're less likely to be killed for your obstinance.

That would be the country, as a whole. However, within demographic or
social segments, conformity is pretty much demanded. That takes shape
in ways that we might not think of. For instance, at the place I
currently work, we don't have an official "dress code", but most
people dress just about exactly the same. (Black dress shoes with
jeans?) My long hair, earrings and sandals don't always fit in, so I
adjust a bit to conform to the norm. What about the "artsy community".
Shaved heads, black clothes... How about the college/university
community? Yup, you better conform and be an Athiest. What is
interesting is that the more you want to dress your own way, the more
likely you are to dress like your friends.

Religious conformity? Oh, yes! For sure!!! Granted, this varies so
much from one religion to the next, but there really is an expectation
of conformity. (some are enforced with the sword). Now, do understand
that not ALL of us fit in the nice little pre-formed shapes that some
would like to impose, but even so, I do tend to wear dress pants and
dress shoes (with socks even) on Sunday morning. Technically, I could
wear whatever I want (and do on rare occasion), but will dress nicer
(and shave) than would be my natural state.

A guy like this one would be perfectly welcome AND encouraged in our
church. But we're not a typical church in that regard, either. He'd do
really well with the simple message of Salvation, but deeper
theological discussions might be a challenge. Just because you know
simple math doesn't mean that you can make it as an accountant. Some
of your more conservative churches would be challenged having him
attend their church, but not all of us fit that category and encourage
individualism. As mentioned before, across all of our activities and
groups in our church, over a quarter of our attendies are athiests,
agnostics, gay and bisexual. You don't get that by enforcing
conformity. Do we have certain beliefs? Oh, yes! But you pick and
choose your moments very carefully. Actually, they get to choose their
moments. We let them bring up the question and we like to answer the
questions with questions. It's a respect thing and particular style
that seems to work well these days.

We all don't fit in the same box. Not as individuals and not as
churches. This "conformity" wears several hats. There are religions
that expect a certain level of conformity, but the unchurched will
usually expect that all church people conform to their own
expectations. It freaks some athiests out when we don't behave the way
they think religious people are supposed to behave. We hear it all the
time: "I don't want to be a Christian because all Christians are
______." Then I ask them if I'm that way. "Uh, no."

:)

See you Sunday.

AG Schnozz