Re: [OM] 1931: Lewis Hine, constructing the Empire State Bldg.

Subject: Re: [OM] 1931: Lewis Hine, constructing the Empire State Bldg.
From: NSURIT@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2013 18:44:37 -0400 (EDT)
In a message dated 7/15/2013 5:17:42 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Hine had  a clear agenda in most of his work - one that would draw
'criticism' from the  conservative end of his society, regardless of the
quality of
the images. His  work on child labour was significant and effective.

I'll be a Johnny come lately on this conversation as I accidentally kicked
myself of the list a few weeks ago.   There is no question about Lewis
Hine's influence in exposing social issues of his time.  Were we to trace  the
genealogy of the art form  "photography," part of it would  have Lewis Hine
introducing the young Paul Strand to Alfred  Stieglitz and Strand would
later had an influence on the work  of Ansell Adams.   Should your travels
ever take you to Santa Fe, New  Mexico, visit the Andrew Smith Gallery to see
original work by each of these  photographers and many more of the greats.

Bill Barber