Re: [OM] OT: Staggerwing portrait

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Staggerwing portrait
From: "Jim Nichols" <jhnichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2013 15:02:05 -0500
Ken,

Upgrading the engine is quite possible, but making use of that extra HP is
something else.  Take the case of the King Air 90, one of the most popular
business airplanes of the last 20 years.  An owner I know has one with
larger Pratt & Whitney turboprops installed, but the airframe is still
limited to the horsepower at which it was certified.  He can make use of the
extra horses above 15,000 ft., but can't legally use it for takeoff.  I'm
sure the extra power would be nice to have in case of an engine failure, but
those things are the most reliable engines ever built.

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA