[OM] NostraSchnozzus

Subject: [OM] NostraSchnozzus
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2013 09:46:19 -0600
News report: Nikon is entering the smartphone market.

Well, it's about time!

Unfortunately, history does tend to repeat itself. Where Canon cleaned
Kodak's clock, now Apple and Samsung have been cleaning
Canon/Nikon/Olympus' clocks.

Like I've said before, it is simply ludicrous that all of our
smartphones today, don't already have "Nikon lens" or "Olympus camera"
or "Canon Imaging" labels all over them. There is no suprise to all
this. I can't imagine ANY logical reason why this hasn't already
happened.

The legacy camera companies have kissed off the momentum. Probably
just to preserve sales of point-and-shoot cameras for as long as they
could. Meanwhile, the new generation of customers are more likely to
associate Apple, HTC, Samsung and LG with photography than some stodgy
brand like Canon or Nikon which their fathers used "back in the day".

Congratulations to the Nikon folks to finally have the giblets to
break away from the well worn path of Kodak, Poloroid... Any of the
brands not embracing this brave new world by the end of 2013 deserves
to die.

(How do I REALLY feel about this?)

--
Ken Norton