[OM] Couple shots from 4th of July b'fly count

Subject: [OM] Couple shots from 4th of July b'fly count
From: usher99@xxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 7 Jul 2013 22:59:58 -0400 (EDT)
Attended the annual 4th of July count (actually on the 5th) and was
gunning for a nice image of a Baltimore Checkerspot which alluded me
last year.
Armament tested the day before to optimize chances. As it was to be
very hot and the critters likely more jittery, wanted max working
distance so put my
best close focusing long prime on extension. Seems the Balt CS colors
don't post process well (in my hands) in flat light so wanted to insure
some fill flash if required--off axis works well as per Dean's
methodology.  T32  seems OK for this in portrait mode isn't perfect at
that mag but adequate.  Determined the auto sensor will overexpose a
stop or two
with a background a few feet away so put a 3 stop ND filter on it to
provide flexibility.  One shot was usable:

http://www.olyendomike.com/Macro/Macro-2013/27352162_6bnt92#!i=2617002921&k=wGtJNVg&lb=1&s=L

http://www.olyendomike.com/Macro/Macro-2013/27352162_6bnt92#!i=2617003183&k=335ZbXL&lb=1&s=L

It was 94 deg or so and humid and the wet meadows were indeed wet and
muck/water made it over  my boots a few times.

The following day Howard who led the count went to Weir Hill in Andover
and came across 2 Baltimores, 1 Monarch and a Great Spangled Fritillary
all interested in the same swamp
milkweed flower.  They kindly all were lined up close to the same plane
and he nailed a truly impressive shot.  I think he often uses ISO 1000
on his Nykon.

Mike