Re: [OM] Old selenium cell meters

Subject: Re: [OM] Old selenium cell meters
From: "Ian Manners" <void@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 07 Jul 2013 01:47:30 +0800 (WST)
Hi Chuck,

> Later on another commenter disputed that the light treatment would do
> any good.  However, the original comment was reported to have been
made
> by an old guy who repaired Westons for many, many years.  Certainly
> can't hurt.

It 'can' work depending on the fault. If the fault is due to the
cell having oxidised trails on the cell surface from moisture
(humidity) ingress, then its worth a try.

Why it works is due to the low current generated by the inside
light slowly burning off the oxide trails left on the cell.

If you put the cell in strong sunlight you might blow the
metering system after a while, or simply blow the cell
from prolonged high current and heat caused by the
short before you fix the problem, or cause another
problem before you realise you have fixed the original
problem :)

Thats how it was explained to me, and it seemed to fix
a couple of old cameras I tried it with about 30 years ago.

I think one of those old cameras is still in one of my fathers
display cases at his home.

Cheers
Ian Manners
Of nowhere in particular.