Re: [OM] More from NYC

Subject: Re: [OM] More from NYC
From: Paul Braun <pbraun42@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2013 08:57:14 -0500
No.  Maybe it's a cultural/language thing.

Here in 'Murca,  we have at least 6 different variations on frozen desserts.

Sorbet (or sherbet, the Americanized name) which is non-dairy, usually based on
fruit juice and/or fruit purée)

Ice Cream - typical mixture of cream, sugar, and flavoring ingredients

Ice Milk (or soft-serve) which is what places like Dairy Queen sell.  Like ice
cream, but lower fat content and usually served out of a machine, soft, swirled
onto a cone or into a dish.

Frozen Custard is like ice cream, but also contains eggs.  If done properly, is
extremely smooth and rich.

Frozen yogurt is like ice cream, but also contains yogurt cultures

Gelato - if made traditionally, contains more whole milk than cream and has
half the fat of ice cream.  Is served warmer and softer, and is very smooth.

We'd had plenty of the first 5 over our lives.  But when we discovered Gelato,
the others (except custard) pale by comparison.

Except Ben & Jerry's Phish Food, which is, as far as I can tell, the way God
intended ice to be made.

Paul Braun
Certified Music Junkie

"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever." -- David St. Hubbins

"Music washes from the soul the dust of everyday life" - Harlan Howard