Re: [OM] Re; OT Browsers... or viruses?

Subject: Re: [OM] Re; OT Browsers... or viruses?
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2013 08:56:51 -0400
Yes, I banned Avast and AVG a couple years ago.  I banned AVG after it
quietly began quarantining Windows system files where no other AV
product could find an infection.  It had actually quarantined 60 files
before I discovered it and I was surprised the system hadn't failed.  I
don't recall why I abandoned Avast but I decided to move to Microsoft's
Security Essentials.  It's pretty bare bones and doesn't have provisions
for scanning anything other than the entire system but I only run that
part once/week and after I turn in for the night.

I decided to go with Microsoft since no other company has as much at
stake as Microsoft does in trying to keep Windows free of malware.  I
haven't been disappointed.  It's perfectly inconspicuous as it runs
during the day checking web pages you're using on the net and file
downloads.  I think it runs about 4 hours or so during the weekly disk
check but that's while I'm sleeping.  You can run it whenever you want
but I've just chosen weekly as my own interval.

You can get it here for free but there is no support for Windows
versions earlier than XP SP3
<http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5201>

Chuck Norcutt