Re: [OM] Image Editing System

Subject: Re: [OM] Image Editing System
From: "C.H.Ling" <ch_photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2013 09:53:02 +0800
----- Original Message -----
From: <usher99@xxxxxxx>

> Cool software, thanks for mentioning. Makes perfect sense to use the
> extra RAM inaccessible to use by the system otherwise for a RAM disk. I
> would worry about volatile memory when going into hibernate mode
> etc--free version may not write it to disk.

I remember the free VSuite Ramdisk doesn't work well at Hibernate mode.

The free version can save Ramdisk image to HDD during shutdown but it is
slow to write 4GB of file to a HDD. It slows down both power down and up
time. So I just use it for PS scratch disk.

With win 7, why wouldn't PS
> just take advantage of all the system RAM first as long as there are no
> memory hog programs running? Is it clear PS is faster with a large RAM
> disk as scratch file vs 32 GB of system RAM?

I don't have Win 7, you can try it yourself. You may also ask why many PS
action/filter uses only single core while my Olympus Viewer uses all cores
and threads availble and also all my low cost/free video editing software
do.

> That might be true but would surprise me a bit. Haven't even played
> with RAMdisks in well over half a dozen years though. I vagely recall
> nested complexities that gave me trouble though your software may help
> with those issues.

It all require proper software to drive, VSuite Ramdisk is easy to use, I
have been using it for many years. Before that I remember I have used two
128KB ramdisk with my Apple II, which is twice the capacity of the 5" floppy
disk drive :-)

C.H.Ling