Re: [OM] Diffraction distraction continued

Subject: Re: [OM] Diffraction distraction continued
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2013 17:16:32 -0400
Too convoluted (no pun intended) for me.  But I did find it interesting
that diffraction does begin to show up about where it would be expected
(discounting the performance of individual lenses).  I think the news
here is how much sophisticated digital sharpening can recover...
something that wasn't possible in the days of film.

For myself I will continue to use ordinary diffraction calculations when
shooting landscape.  For the 5D the diffraction limit is about f/11.  If
shooting with 24mm using hyperfocal techniques at f/11 the depth of
field ranges from less than 3 feet to infinity.  Perhaps I could shoot
at f16 but for what purpose?  I might gain about 9" on the near distance
at the possible expense of more difficult sharpening.  Also, the 5D is
much more likely to show dust bunnies at f/16 or smaller than at f/11.
For the E-M5 f/5.6 gives about the same result at 12mm (sans dust bunnies)

Chuck Norcutt