Re: [OM] Diffraction distraction continued

Subject: Re: [OM] Diffraction distraction continued
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2013 23:35:21 -0600
My belief, based on testing and empirical evidence is that diffraction
blurring is not to be worried about in most cases. The common mistake
the diffraction police make is using the calculation to assume an
entire circle of 100% blurring. In the real world, this doesn't
happen. It's actually a reduction in the edge contrast, not a total
blurring of the edge contrast. In fact, in most cases, the diffraction
blurring is masked by the AA filter or raw converter that essentially
averages three or four pixels together.

In my experience, the calculations are a full stop off, when using
digital cameras. Diffraction blurring is much more visible on film
than digital. In fact, I'd go as far as to say that two stops off
might be more realistic, because the blurring is so easily corrected
by sharpening.

Why does it respond well to some forms of sharpening? Because the blur
disk is not 100%, but is a lessening of contrast within the zone.

To paraphrase Moose: Put the calculator away, turn off your computer,
grab your camera and go outside and shoot.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx