Re: [OM] Computer Question

Subject: Re: [OM] Computer Question
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2013 15:21:12 -0700
On 5/23/2013 2:24 PM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> Jim and Moose are correct.  The eSATA connection carries only data, no
> power.  I don't recognize the type of connector used for power but the
> illustration of the case you bought shows 3 connectors.  One is eSATA,
> another is USB and the third would be power.  Although they don't
> mention it in the ad the thing must have a "wall wart" in order to operate.

Chuck, I think the third thing you see is the led operation light. Power comes
from the USB connection.

Tina, you may also need a small piece of software. It used to be that Windoze 7
would recognize new eSATA connections,
but that went away some time ago; probably a security thing.

Daniel Sepke turned me on to Hotswap, a tiny utility that can force the OS to
rescan for hardware. It's is also
necessary if you want to disconnect an eSATA drive with no danger of data loss
with the computer running.

Since your new enclosure talks about hot swapping, it may implement something
via the USB to take care of these issues.

Swap Hot Moose