Re: [OM] Computer Question

Subject: Re: [OM] Computer Question
From: Daniel Sepke <dansepke@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2013 17:49:00 -0400
I believe Jim is correct on the point regarding USB providing power as the ones
I have are this way. The instructions for mine require a careful order of
connections otherwise it will default to USB despite the eSATA cable being
connected thus negating the potential benefit. You'd need to be aware of the
way your machine presents each type if drive to be sure if you had it on eSATA.
It's likely you'd only notice when moving files and it taking a long time
otherwise.

Additionally you'd need to use a software tool to stop the SATA connection
prior to unplugging to prevent potential data loss. I use a program called
Hotswap which is a windows utility. I'm afraid I don't have a recommendation
for Mac. Your computers motherboard must support hotswap for this to even be an
option. Without this type of tool you'd need to power off prior to
disconnecting the drive.

Dan