Re: [OM] Oly 4/3 vs m4/3 lens mounts and adapters

Subject: Re: [OM] Oly 4/3 vs m4/3 lens mounts and adapters
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 May 2013 09:47:46 -0400
I played with a couple of other lenses yesterday to see if it was
possible to achieve 0.5X with the E-M5 and slide copier.  Not with what
I have available.  I was going to try my Zuiko 35-70 (49mm filter)
before I remembered I'd given it to my granddaughter.  So I tried my
Soligor 35-70/2.5 (not 49mm filter) at 60 and 70mm but it didn't work.
Just like the 50/3.5 macro the bellows collapses on itself before you
reach focus and you can't get the body close enough to the lens.  I then
tried the Zuiko 85/2 (also 49mm filter) but the entire bellows focusing
rail isn't long enough to get an 85mm lens to focus before the rear
standard carrying the body falls off the end of the rail.  I'm beginning
to suspect that even the Zuiko 80/4 macro might be an iffy situation for
0.5X.  The specs say that 0.5X is its minimum but it that's off even
slightly in might not fit the image.

I think the only way to make it work reliably is to make a custom
OM-m4/3 adapter for use with the 50mm macro that would allow going down
to 0.5x instead of a minimum of 0.68X.  The OM->m4/3 adapter's normal
length is about 20mm.  What's needed is something with about 15mm
removed between the two mounts.

I also tried the 5D at 1:1 with the 50/3.5 macro but wasn't much
impressed with the image quality I got.  I should probably just quit
messing around and go back to the scanner.

Chuck Norcutt