Re: [OM] (Severely OT) Voting, was DNA analysis

Subject: Re: [OM] (Severely OT) Voting, was DNA analysis
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 May 2013 16:31:42 +1200
Andrew F wrote:
> Nothing that simple.
> It's preferential - you vote for all the candidates in preference order -
> number them. Then they keep redistributing the votes of the lesser
> candidates by preference order until some has 50%+1 And the upper house is
> proportional representation - statewide, so the ballot paper can have a
> lot of people on it
(snip)
> Ballots that have an error are called informals and may count if the
> voters intention is clear. Lazy sods who just number the ballot from top
> to bottom are called 'donkey' voters. You can go into any booth on the day
> and lodge an 'absentee' vote - or lodge a postal vote in advance.

For several elections in NZ after the 1984 election following which the
winning Labour party betrayed the nation and labour voters by following a
secret agenda and not the one we voted on, I did not vote at all, out of
disgust. Then for a while I did vote, but in disgust at all candidates and
parties, showed my contempt of the system by utterly spoiling the voting
paper.  I'm sure I was far from being the only one to do these things.

Brian Swale.