Re: [OM] IMG: Kids Still Like Aircraft

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Kids Still Like Aircraft
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2013 10:04:29 +0100
It's probably even more serious, Andrew (wheel came off an MGB of mine once,
owing to my not having tightened the nuts!).  It's unlikely that we'll get
flying again until there is clearance to fly the full envelope.

I reckoned that only Jim would read that bit.  But they're not acronyms,
Andrew, old bean: they don't make words in their own right.

The only abbreviation that might not be familiar is probably CSU or constant
speed unit.  This adjusts the pitch of the prop blades to maintain RPM, but the
main purpose is to increase the blade pitch as the speed increases in order to
maintain a constant thrust through a larger speed range than with a constant
pitch prop.

It might sound boring, but it would be worth looking it up as it's a pretty
smart bit of mechanical engineering -- when it has sufficient oil pressure to
work it properly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constant_speed_unit
(which is not quite right; I'll have to edit it when I have time)

It's almost as  clever as the rollerons on a Sidewinder missile.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolleron
(I've just added a bit about precession to explain properly how it works)

Chris