Re: [OM] EP-5

Subject: Re: [OM] EP-5
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 May 2013 22:02:11 -0700
On 5/11/2013 4:23 PM, usher99@xxxxxxx wrote:
> Thanks Moose--put a copy on my desktop and mailed another copy  to
> myself.  The Ep-5 might be a slightly better horse cam with the form
> factor and perhaps slightly faster AF but no weather sealing of course nor on
> board EVF.

I'd be thinking the E-PM2. E-M5 IQ in a tiny, light camera. The lack of a Mode
dial is actually an advantage for rough
and tumble, as it can't get bumped to a different setting. Set right four way
controller button to lock the controller,
and the thing stays set as you want as it is put into and pulled out of bags,
pockets, purses, rubs against straps, and
so on.

No less weather resistant than it's big brothers, and cheaper to replace if the
worst does happen. Fits into a small,
protective case.

> I wonder what the fast shutter release mode is? (lists 44ms
> lag)  Could it actually be an EFC?
> I would be surprised as the guts are basically the same as the OM-D.

IR says "There's also a new short release-time lag mode, which increases power
consumption by around one-fifth, but
decreases prefocused shutter lag by around the same margin. Olympus is claiming
a time of around 0.049 seconds, which
would gel well with a 20% reduction over the 0.060 seconds we measured for the
E-P3."

Somehow, I'd think an EFC would reduce power consumption. That's a mighty small
change. I can't imagine I'd notice it -
especially if Anti-Shock is still needed.

> It can turn on/off the Panny OIS mode  in the lenses as well unlike any
>   previous cams.
> I have read video may benefit from using that in lieu of the IBIS
> though have never seen confirmation.   Oly is riding that sensor for
> all its worth, but given the results, who can blame them.

It's a great sensor. And it's very much in line with their history, the prior
µ4/3 sensor having been used in eight
camera models.

P.E.N. Moose