[OM] LR5 beta

Subject: [OM] LR5 beta
From: Frank Wijsmuller <wijsmuller@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2013 19:08:54 +0200
I just visited a local photography show and enjoyed a 45min presentation of
LR5. They claimed they had a first, since the download of LR5 was too early
available, enabling them to run the presentation today (the official
release time would be 5pm local time here, when the show closed).

I could see myself upgrading for a few of these features:
- free form spot repair: it basically lets you 'paint' out an unwanted
detail of your picture and then LR searchs for a proper alternative. You
can still control it by hand. They'll keep their intelligent content fill
for LR6 I guess.
- auto level and or auto perspective adjustment. There is an additional
control to adjust the 'vertical thickness', to compensate for the results
of perspective adjustment. The guy suggested that it would be popular among
portrait photographers (easier then a diet ;-)
- circular graduated filter. Quite powerful. You can either manipulate the
picture inside or outside a circular shape you draw yourself. All familiar
controls are there. The end of deliberate vignetting as we know it (or the
beginning of another vignetting hype I guess). One less reason left to buy
expensive glass for thin DOF.
- smart preview means a limited resolution picture on which you can do all
there is (when the original raw is not available). Aimed at laptop users
who cannot or don't want to carry all their pictures with them (on a
external drive/nas). I think he mentioned 2000pixels horizontal max. When
the raw is 'reattached', the changes can be processed on those. He
mentioned a 100K picture collection in smart preview took some 15Gb. That
is not too demanding on a laptop nowadays. There is also a 'speed' bonus,
LR should feel faster with smaller files. You could make your workflow on
the smart previews fast for the screen, and only on the real raw for the
print. Makes some sense I think.

Hopes this helps to get an impression of LR5.

Best, Frank.