Re: [OM] Purse, Pocket, Horse Camera

Subject: Re: [OM] Purse, Pocket, Horse Camera
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2013 02:42:55 -0700
On 4/5/2013 2:57 PM, Michael Gordon wrote:
> Lookin' good.  Thanks for the update.  Can't properly appreciate them on this
> small screen, but bookmarked them for later study.  Noticed the color space
> isn't defined for some reason.  Any direct comparison shots  at long end of
> the pz. would be very interesting.    Now on a  quick jaunt to Moab to visit
> friends.

Out in the garden today, I took some quite informal, hand held, similar shots
with 12-50 in Macro mode, 43 mm and the
Panny 14-42 Z at 42 mm.

A couple cover much of the frame, so I can get a little idea about the edges.
I've overlaid them in PS, and examined
them at 100%. The differences are small to non-existent. In one pair, the Z
image is enough larger that it tends to look
better, but I really can't say one is better than the other. They are of three
ranuculus flowers, with lots of detail of
edges of petals and more subtle detail in surface texture, veins, etc.

With the other two I looked closely at, focus is not at quite the same depth on
the subjects, so different parts are
most clearly in focus. One, I would call for the M.ZD, but that may be only
better focus accuracy. The other I might
call for the PZ, but mostly because I was closer, so the image is larger, and
shows detail more clearly.

If there's anything wrong with the PZ at 42 mm, it's only in the farthest
corners, 'cause its good to the horizontal
edges. Truth is, the PZ shots that the operator got right are so beautiful that
I'm just not concerned. It's a fine
lens, at least taking pics of deeply 3D subjects at small apertures.

Did a tester or two get the short end of the sample variation stick? Do the Pen
12 MP sensors simply not resolve enough
to tell the difference? I didn't test on the E-M5 for the simple reason that
that's not what I got it for. Have way too
many testers not been aware of the shutter shock problem and come to erroneous
conclusions? Did my mostly close range
shots catch the best end of the focal range? I dunno. There weren't any distant
subjects that attracted my interest at
the time. :-)

I've looked at the few long end, landscape shots I have, and they look pretty
good to me. A lens this small and light
and this good is quite an accomplishment.

Testy Moose