Re: [OM] Perspective on Gary

Subject: Re: [OM] Perspective on Gary
From: Nathan Wajsman <photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2013 19:24:38 +0200
Well, having lived in both the US and the Netherlands, and with both children
studying in the UK, this is of obvious interest to me.

Rankings are one thing, but you also need to look at numbers.

Murders:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate

So: US at 4.8 per 100000, UK at 1.2, Netherlands at 1.1. So you are between
four and five times as likely to be murdered in the US than in the two other
countries mentioned. Of course, those numbers pale in comparison with
Honduras's 91.6 and Mexico's 22.7, just to pick two other countries that have
been named.

Other violent crime is more difficult to compare, since countries have
different standards:
http://azdailysun.com/news/opinion/mailbag/u-s-still-leads-in-violent-crime/article_cd6b4dde-ff38-5de1-af8a-bdae6fd2561c.html

I suspect the same is true of non-violent property crimes. Think of all those
bike thefts in Amsterdam and other big Dutch cities. This is why everyone there
has an old clunker, worth no more than €50, so that if it gets stolen when you
are out at night drinking, the loss is not much more than the cost of a taxi
ride home.

Cheers,
Nathan

Nathan Wajsman