[OM] Perspective on Gary

Subject: [OM] Perspective on Gary
From: "Bob Benson" <bob.benson91@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2013 09:04:17 -0500
It is interesting to hear folks' perspective about "safe" in places like
Gary.

I work very often in Mexico City and Monterrey,  and my friends and family
always ask "do I feel safe" and "isn't that dangerous?"   They're amazed
that I actually go there happily (it is, after all, work.)

My response is always, well, there are places in the USA (and my own city)
that I won't go either, and that's certainly true in Mexico as well.  Being
careful is important.

And then I say:  on a per-capita basis, the murder rate in Mexico City is
one-fourth of the murder rate in Washington DC.

And then I report on an Economist  article I read some time ago ... I think
I have it right (old fart memory) . ranking three countries in terms of
crime rates.

Rate per capita of murder:    USA,  UK,  Netherlands

Rate per capita of violent crimes other than murder:    UK,  Netherlands,
USA

Rate per capita of non-violent property crimes:   Netherlands, UK,  USA.

What brought this home to me is the Netherlands.  I go to Tilburg (mostly)
and Eindhoven routinely, and am always cautioned by the folks there to be
very careful where I walk.

So the bottom line is that being careful is good,  pretty much everywhere.

Bob