[OM] Audio input the E-M5

Subject: [OM] Audio input the E-M5
From: Paul Braun <pbraun42@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2013 20:23:33 -0500
The E-M5 does a remarkable job with HD video.  I shot a series of promo
videos after the last conert at the theatre - I had the artist perform
two of his songs after everyone left, and I video'd them ("videotaped"
doesn't really work any more....)

The problem is, the built-in mics pick up a lot of room echo.  I plan on
getting the external mics, but I'm still thinking that in a situation
with a PA system, they're still going to pick up a lot of room ambience.

Anyone here who's really audio-savvy, and by that I'm pretty much
referring to Ken, are you aware of any way to feed line-level audio into
the camera?  I assume that if I just put a stereo feed into the 1/8"
jack on the external adapter that it has no way of scaling itself to
line levels instead of mic levels.

I can't think of any way to add a smpte stripe to the video... I guess I
could just try to mix down the audio from the mixer multitrack and then
try to line it all up in something like Final Cut (something lighter and
cheaper than that, preferably).

My main goal is to create a performance video for my artists that I can
use for promotion and they can share with their fans.

--

Paul Braun
Certified Music Junkie

"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever." - David St. Hubbins

"Music washes from the soul the dust of everyday life" - Harlan Howard