[OM] Losing and Winning at the same time

Subject: [OM] Losing and Winning at the same time
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2013 18:29:19 -0500
So, for the past zillion years (at least 13) I've been the official
photographer for a big shindig conference. For the past three years
I've been thinking that my time doing it has pretty much run its
course. There comes a point where you recognize that it's time to hand
the reigns over to somebody else. I even trained somebody to do it one
year.

Three years ago, the organization hired a new media professional on
staff who was, in theory, supposed to do this kind of thing. Didn't
happen, even though I even ENCOURAGED it. (If you are paying somebody
to do a job...). Anyway, that person has been replaced by somebody
else who is taking over the photography aspect of this event. I get to
relax and watch it for the first in in over a dozen years. On one
hand, I'm disappointed that this has finally come to a close. On the
other hand, I'm relieved. I feel like I've run out of fresh ideas and
recognize that I've been milking the same creative shots over and over
again. The only thing that seems to change is the subjects have less
hair every year. I would have needed to borrow or buy a little camera
equipment this year too, such as the Canon 7D. My equipment is no
longer up to the task.

However, that doesn't mean this ADHD kid is just going to go sit down
and be quiet. Rumor has it that there is a need for another
videographer.

:)

Honestly, this year's event will have about 25% more people to be
photographed than last year and I felt that was over the limit. The
portrait session, I've gotten down to a well-oiled machine and could
cycle people through so fast that it would make your head spin. Last
month, as we were discussing the coverage, I considered bringing in a
second shooter to divide and conquer that operation. Now I don't need
to worry about that. We'll see how this new person handles doing three
group shots and over 100 portraits in 45 minutes. That pit in my
stomach has faded. Yeah, I was definitely going to bring in a second
shooter. I'm good, but I know where my limits are.

I'm thinking of bringing an OM-4T with 28/2 loaded with NPZ for fun, though.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx