Re: [OM] OK, now that I sorted that out.... Ballhead recommendation

Subject: Re: [OM] OK, now that I sorted that out.... Ballhead recommendation
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 09 Mar 2013 15:14:20 -0800
On 3/9/2013 1:15 PM, Paul Braun wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 9, 2013 at 3:11 PM, <NSURIT@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Paul, this may not help with your decision on the legs, however you might
>> check to see what the weight difference is between the CF legs and the
>> aluminum.  Bill Barber
>>
> The CF legs are a little more than a pound lighter than the AL ones, and a
> lot more rigid.

I think you have both missed the point. Metal legs sustain vibration, CF legs
damp it. Buy a 15+ LB. tripod, like my big
Manfrotto, and metal is great, albeit heavy.

Buy in the size/weight range Paul is looking in, and CF is simply better
performing.

I don't know much about ball heads. I've seen those big, fancy ones, but they
are too big, heavy and expensive for my
needs. On my Manfrotto 190CXPRO3 legs, I'm using a relatively small, light,
obscure, Velbon magnesium head, PH-253.

It was always a little light for the Canons, but is perfect with the E-M5. I've
apparently revised camera/lenses to fit
my preferred tripod/head. :-)

For my heavier CF tripod, I go with the 410 geared head, which is just flat
wonderful for precision work. The monster
tripod has either that or the big, hex plate Manfrotto 3047 that Brian just
posted a pic of recently. But the big boys
mostly rest quietly these days. They were last out for moon shootin', months
ago.

When some genius invents a small, light geared head, I'd like one on the light
CF legs. The 410 is way too heavy.

Loony Head Moose