Re: [OM] 3-D printing, was: New photos up

Subject: Re: [OM] 3-D printing, was: New photos up
From: Scott Gomez <sgomez.baja@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2013 12:15:14 -0800
I've been following the 3D printing world for a while. Current,
affordable-by-many (which I am arbitrarily designating as "under
$2500.00US"), 3D printing is able to create some parts for a working
firearm, but not those which need to withstand high temperatures and/or
pressures. I haven't yet seen a report of a 3D printing device of that type
(or any type, come to think of it) capable of producing something like a
gun-barrel or breech block and the state-of-the art for 3D printing of
metals is still very much limited. Besides, why bother, when something like
a zip gun has been easily produced with virtually no skill whatsoever for
decades, if not longer?

As for designs to be printed... that's a really interesting part of
copyright law. There have already been forced take-downs of designs that
produced 3D models of things that previously existed in only 2D; like 3D
renditions of spaceships from 2D games or movies. Is a 3D design of
something that never before existed "in the real world" as an object really
a copy of the 2D image? If it is never marketed in such a way as to confuse
consumers as to it's provenance, how does it really infringe? How detailed
would the 2D image have to have been to make a reasonable inference that it
provided the "source" of the 3D object? What if the 2D image only ever
depicted 1 viewpoint, and thus the other dimensions/angles were totally the
"invention" of the 3D designer? Is a 3D object designed from only a verbal
description of something an infringing "copy'?