Re: [OM] E-M5 and OM 50/1.2

Subject: Re: [OM] E-M5 and OM 50/1.2
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 10:14:40 -0600
> I think you and most others had decided well before the E-M5 that the 5D
> with legacy lenses was a non-starter.  I don't disagree in the sense that I
> recognize fully that it isn't as convenient or fast.  I do have my E system
> stuff for that.  I just enjoy shooting my old film lenses from time to time
> and find it no worse an experience using the 5D to do it than OM bodies.

Chuck and Moose both have expressed the "logical thinking " aspect to
Canon-OM hybrid shooting. From a logical thinking perspective, I would
agree that it's a clutz method and doesn't make any sense since you
can get native EOS mount lenses that auto-focus, provide conveniences
and so forth. Both individuals have since been migrating on to smaller
cameras because of the conveniences they offer. Applying the same
logical thinking, it only makes sense to totally dump all vestiges of
Canon and the OM system.

One hazard to any form of automation advance is that you become
dependent upon it. Sure, I CAN use manual focus any time I want. But I
don't WANT to use it. The missed shots because you've become a slave
to the camera doesn't matter because logical thinking says that you
miss a lot of shots or opportunities anyway, so what's one more?

Over the past year, I would be very conservative in stating that less
than 5% of my photos were taken with auto-focus. Less than 20% where I
wasn't directly involved in the exposure calculations. Granted, I'm an
overachiever and have all sorts of compensation techniques to overcome
the weaknesses of the cameras, but no worse than shooting any
medium-format camera I've ever owned.

I've been using the EOS-7D a lot this year. I REALLY like that camera.
But even with the latest/greatest lenses, the camera really doesn't
hit focus or exposure any better than me.
--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx