Re: [OM] Return of the Native (monitor)

Subject: Re: [OM] Return of the Native (monitor)
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2013 13:52:20 -0500
Use some caution in choosing the batteries to buy if you're not
absolutely certain of size and type.  Even after Moose's apparent due
diligence what he got was not a perfect fit.  Fortunately he was able to
shoehorn it all in anyhow with the added benefit of greater capacity.

My wife and I both have the same type of electric toothbrush and, after
4 or 5 years, hers appeared to have given up the ghost.  I was sure the
battery/ies had died since 4 or 5 years on a NiMH battery is probably
pretty good.  The owner's manual was totally silent on battery
replacement as was the manufacturer's web site.  But I decided to check
ebay and found numerous batteries for sale naming the particular
manufacturer and brush model.  But after inspecting them I noticed that
some said 1 battery, some said 2 and, even between those claiming either
1 or 2, the dimensions of the batteries didn't necessarily agree.

Eventually, I encounterd an add that sounded quite believable.  It said
something like; "Don't believe all those other guys, they don't know
what they're talking about.  The brush requires a pair of batteries of X
size but it's a bit tricky to replace them due to an extremely thin and
fragile connecting wire."  It then went on to detail (should you be
brave) how to replace the batteries and how to work carefully to avoid
breaking the wire.  I had been reluctant to even open the brush handle
to view the battery not knowing exactly how to open it or what I might
find.  But, armed with the info in the ebay ad I knew exactly how to
open it and where to use caution with the wire lead.  He was exactly
correct.  I closed it back up, assured myself the batteries were toast
and made a note to order the battery pair but forgot about it.  I also
forgot to tell my wife I had concluded the battery was toast.  Some time
later I discovered my wife using her electric toothbrush.  I said: "How
did you get it working again."  She said: " I don't know.  I just
plugged it in to charge it and now it's working again."  I still haven't
ordered the replacement batteries.  :-)

Chuck Norcutt