[OM] Gums [was Return of the Native (monitor)]

Subject: [OM] Gums [was Return of the Native (monitor)]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2013 20:11:16 -0800
On 2/24/2013 10:30 AM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> I thought about it too until I did a hard stop after reading the 1 and 2
> rating reviews at Amazon.  Not sure what will convince me to proceed
> but, for the moment at least, I'm holding on to my money.  That despite
> it being very important to me since I have a lot of bone loss,
> especially on the lower front.

While I did not recommend the Emmi-dent, I did mention it. Now I've read the
poor reviews and have a couple of comments.

1. First, and most important, it's not about tartar, stains, shininess,
whiteness, and so on. It's about an effect you
can't see at all, killing off many/most bacteria and breaking up the colonies.
The cause of bone loss is the acid they
give off as a byproduct of their metabolism, which kills off bone. Deep gum
pockets and receding gums are a secondary
effect, a result of the receding bone they are supported by.

You can clean, whiten, etc. only if you still have the teeth. Ultrasonic is
about keeping the original teeth.

The one article I skimmed about the Emmi-dent seemed to me to emphasize this
factor. But it seems that their ads and
some customer expectations get off track on cosmetic issues. Yes, my teeth are
mostly squeaky clean, when I go in, but I
floss very thoroughly, use the Ultrasonex for about double the recommended time
and also use inter-dental brushes, for
decay prevention.

2. I didn't realize Emmi-dent is ultrasonic only. The discontinued ones I use
are a combination. There's a standard
vibrator setup, like massagers and sex toys, a small motor with an off center
weight on the shaft. Then there is an
ultrasonic transducer right up inside the prong the replaceable brush heads fit
over. So it is doing both at once.

I think the guy who complained about the lack of a massage effect is probably
right. Whenever I get any discomfort, I
use the massaging effect of the brush to stimulate circulation, etc. and I
believe it usually helps.

3. I don't believe any brush can replace flossing. They are complimentary.

Well Toothed Moose