Re: [OM] Off-Topic, Proper Protest For an Individual

Subject: Re: [OM] Off-Topic, Proper Protest For an Individual
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2013 06:10:23 -0800
> From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> I'm sure a few of you are aware of the little navy battle going on off the
> coast of Antarctica right now... Attempting to kill people is a step too far
> and the Japanese Government is
> directly involved in this action.

I was not aware. I hope Paul and crew are okay.

> As an individual, what is an appropriate action I can take... Would targeting
> companies
> like Toyota, Canon, Olympus, etc., put any pressure on these companies to
> in turn pressure their government to stop the whaling?

I think such consumer action is a waste UNLESS accompanied with a letter -- or
numerous letters -- letting the companies know 1) that you have been
considering buying their product, but than 2) now you will not consider their
product, because of 3) the actions their government takes. Then 4) ask them to
let their government know that their actions are losing them business.

:::: Because solar energy has been the primary external energy available for
life on earth, billions of years of evolution have probably already optimized
the capture and conversion of solar energy. Technological alternatives are
unlikely to match that efficiency when properly evaulated. -- David Holmgren