Re: [OM] A little alt.fun

Subject: Re: [OM] A little alt.fun
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2013 02:33:10 -0800

Better? <http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=2699>

Or I can go farther. ;-) <http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=2702>

> Is it because I am missing the Point of Pinhole?

Much as I like making sharp. clear images of beautiful things in nature, I know
there are aspects of life, both interior
and exterior, that aren't captured that way.

Throughout the history of art, and, in this case, photography, there have been
images that are technically fuzzy,
imprecise, etc. that move me and others. I'm interested in those possibilities,
and occasionally play with equipment and
techniques I feel may allow me to do something interesting in that sense.

To the extent that the Pictorialists were trying to look more like painting, in
order to be come accepted as true
artists, they failed, and Group f64 succeeded. And yet, most run of the mill
Gf64 images don't move me*, and some of the
better Pictorialist images quite engage me emotionally.

As in any era, there are recent and contemporary artists working to find ways
to express their vision. In photography,
relearning old materials and techniques, making their own, quirky,
intentionally imperfect cameras, finding new ways to
torture materials and images, and so on. I find most of it crap, and some
strangely moving.

Some of them are using pinhole and related equipment and techniques. Andi it's
a relatively easy thing to try out,
compared to coating and instantly developing ones own wet plates, for example.
:-)

Making pinhole images just because I can is of limited interest. Trying it to
see what possibilities it may, or may not,
hold may be worthwhile. I dunno.

Minimally Holey Moose

* The St. Ansel exhibit at the Peabody Essex Museum recently is a case in
point. A handful of great images, more pretty
darn good ones, and a bunch that wouldn't be hanging in any museum if not for
the one who took them.