Re: [OM] Advice on shoot, s'il te plait

Subject: Re: [OM] Advice on shoot, s'il te plait
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2013 11:38:39 -0800
On 2/14/2013 7:13 AM, Bob Whitmire wrote:
> As it happens, I've been roped into a commercial shoot this coming Tuesday.
> Some of you will be delighted to learn that it involves aircraft. My cousin's
> pilot is developing a web site to try to increase his flying business, and
> the two of them have shanghai'd me into doing the photography. I think I'll
> get paid, but I'm not sure, and it doesn't really matter because once again
> I'm lunging far outside my comfort zone.
>
> According to the pilot, he's looking for some industry standard type photos,
> some of which will be aircraft interiors with tray tables down and muffins
> and coffee and stuff. I looked at a few sites and saw exactly what he was
> talking about. Boring as hell, but illustrative and designed to appeal to the
> 1%.
>
> The most important question is this: Will 24mm be wide enough to get good, in
> proper proportion shots of the interior of the aircraft? (I assume said
> aircraft will be the small Citation.

I'm a gonna disagree with everybody else on this one point. For this, you WANT
distortion - of apparent space. You want
to make the space look/feel more spacious than it really is. And the best tool
for that is a wide angle lens.

You can do it with a 24; the zoom will be perfect for the detail shots. The
problem with stitching is the many strong
lines, few of them actually straight/square, that have to be lined up with each
other to look right. Seems to me a
formula for deep frustration, back in the digidark. I wouldn't want to walk
into that job without something no longer
than 18 mm.

Picture yourself in the space, then imagine a 90 deg. angle of view. Is that
enough? Will less be enough? That's the
horizontal AOV of 18 mm on FF.

I'll leave all the other stuff to others much more expert than I.

Spacious Moose